maven-users mailing list archives

From Stanimir Stamenkov <s7a...@netscape.net>
Subject Re: Changes in how exclusions are applied transitively ?
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:54:37 GMT
[See my reply below the quote.]

Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:20:49 +0200, /Grégory Joseph/:

> I can't seem to find an accurate trace of this in the release notes,
> so I thought I'd just ping the list - Changes in how exclusions are
> applied transitively between Maven 2.2.1 and 3.1 ?
>
> Here's a situation: A has dependencies on B and C. Both transitively
> depend on D  (through X, which is irrelevant, I think)  but B excludes
> it (on its dep declaration of X)
>
> With 2.2.1, D was (wrongly imo) excluded from A (depending on
> dependency order, seemingly)
>
> With 3.1, it appears to behave "correctly".
>
> Since I'm stuck with 2.2.1 for a bit, I'm facing a situation right now
> where I need to work around the bug, currently by removing the
> exclusions. That's currently OK, but at some point, those exclusions
> will be re-added (in A or in a new project) and we'll face the same
> issue again, without any clue as to why.
>
> How have people dealt with this so far ?

I'm not sure I fully understand you, but I'm also stuck with Maven
2.2.1 currently, and I've noticed when excluding a transitive
dependency it excludes it from other dependencies which have it as a
transitive dependency.  The other dependencies I don't want to
exclude the transitive dependency from are either "test" or
"provided" (needed only during build, actually).  To workaround this
I've declared the dependency I want to exclude as "provided" in a
'dependencyManagement' section, so it doesn't get included
automatically in WAR and similar packages.  See if this approach
might help you, too.

--
Stanimir