maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Stop offline mode artifact version renumbering
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2013 01:48:19 GMT
I am not sure that I understand the problem but will version ranges in
dependency specifications help?

Ron

On 26/07/2013 12:01 PM, Bahmer, Eric V wrote:
> I've searched through a few years archives of the mailing list and can't seem to find
an answer to an issue that's been bugging me for a while now.

> We've been using a highly customized third-party application for a while now and are
looking to upgrade to a newer version.
> The new version uses maven for part of it's build process.
> I work in an environment that for SECURITY reasons I must run my build in OFFLINE mode.
> I have already rebuilt over 600 rpms to have all the necessary dependencies available
locally.

> The problem I'm having is this:
>
> The project uses jetty, it calls for version 7.5.3 to be used, I have a patched 8.1.0
installed.
> Maven will resolve jetty correctly, however one of the jetty jars will end up with it's
version number altered in the distribution.

> jetty-server-8.1.0.v20120127.jar
> jetty-servlet-8.1.0.v20120127.jar
> jetty-start-7.5.3.v20111011.jar
>
> This will not work as jetty-start reads it's own filename string and attempts to load
other jetty jars with the same version string.

> I can get around the problem by replacing the jetty version number <version.jetty>
tag in the parent pom, which will make jetty-start have the same 8.1.0 version number.

> However, jetty isn't the only jar that this is happening to.
> The overall project which isn't entirely java has a few sub-projects built separately
exhibiting this same behavior and I would rather avoid replacing every version number in every
pom or adding them if they don't have them just so that all related packages like jetty, spring,
or resteasy have matching version numbers.
> I also don't want several copies of the same jar with different filenames because the
version number is different for the sub-projects.
> Otherwise I have to put a bunch of ugly loops in my rpm spec file to clean up both before
the build and after.

> Is there a way to force resolution of my locally installed version numbers and NOT rename
the jar files to an incorrect version number? I've already tried the versions plugin, the
dependency plugin, -U, -Dmaven.ignore.versions as well as combinations of them all.

> I repeat that I have all necessary dependencies locally installed for offline build.
I know my versions work. I want maven to ignore what the poms say about version and take the
version number from what I have installed.

--
Ron Wheeler
President