maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Any reason ant should compile faster?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 05:53:09 GMT
I suppose that at this time the best that you can do is break out the
clean bits into small projects and leave the rest as one big compile.

Ron

On 25/07/2013 12:43 AM, Russell Gold wrote:
> It builds now because Javac is able to handle this case - as long as it all happens in
the same compile. For those of us used to older languages that compiled one class at a time
under the covers, and proceeded in order through each source file, it sounds odd, but javac
has been doing this since at least 1.02.

> Short answer: I cannot break the graph at present, so it all has to happen in one compile
- and that's really unfortunate as the coupled classes include half of two major subsystems,
a third of another, and bits and pieces of a dozen more.

> It's very frustrating.
>
> On Jul 25, 2013, at 12:34 AM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24/07/2013 10:56 PM, Russell Gold wrote:
>>> Exactly. Which I cannot do because these classes are public and our customers
rely on them. If I break the graph, that means changing a behavior that a customer might be
using, and that would be a serious problem.

>>> I am pushing to deprecate the entire graph and provide a completely different
api that won't have these problems, but even if I get that approved, we have to support this
for several releases.

>>> If there's an alternative, I'm all ears.

>> I am not sure how you build them now!
>> If you can build this now, you can break the graph in the same way and put them in
dependent projects.

>> How many of these cyclical graphs do you have?
>>
>> Once you break the graph you should be able to end up with a set of modules that
the customers can continue to use as A,B,C and D even if D no longer depends on A or C no
longer depends on D.