maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Any reason ant should compile faster?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 00:36:18 GMT

On 24/07/2013 4:40 PM, Russell Gold wrote:
> Oh, you underestimate the coupling of this code. Yes, there are
> packages, but the classes in those packages reference one another
> willy-nilly. It's not a problem with recompiling - it's that there
> don't appear to be any good, sensible subset of classes in this group
> of 10,000 or so which can be compiled on their own. This set of 4000
> appears to be the minimum of what's left.
>
> And worse, it appears that we published the main classes responsible
> for doing the coupling - and our customers use them in their own scripts.

This does not mean  that they require recompiling  in a single Maven
project.

> The architect responsible for this mess left the company ten years
> ago, shortly after putting it in place over the objections of most of
> the senior staff, and we haven't been able to remove it.

You could start by breaking the whole mess into packages that live in a
single project.
If you  get down to 80-100 Maven projects, you will at least have a
start on a cleanup and a way to reduce the need to compile 4000 classes
at once.

Our biggest application was made up of 90 Maven projects but most major
revisions only required changes to 10-20 Maven projects and we edited,
compiled and tested each project individually even if it depended on
other jars.
We had designed it from the start as a layered stack so our initial
packaging into Maven projects made sense but we did many refactoring
over the years as we went through major revisions and changed our views
about how to structure the application.

Maven is designed to support multi-project applications.

Ron