maven-users mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <r...@gold-family.us>
Subject Re: Any reason ant should compile faster?
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:40:56 GMT
Oh, you underestimate the coupling of this code. Yes, there are packages, but the classes in
those packages reference one another willy-nilly. It's not a problem with recompiling - it's
that there don't appear to be any good, sensible subset of classes in this group of 10,000
or so which can be compiled on their own. This set of 4000 appears to be the minimum of what's
left.

And worse, it appears that we published the main classes responsible for doing the coupling
- and our customers use them in their own scripts.

The architect responsible for this mess left the company ten years ago, shortly after putting
it in place over the objections of most of the senior staff, and we haven't been able to remove
it.

Russ

On Jul 24, 2013, at 3:28 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:

> On 24/07/2013 12:35 PM, Russell Gold wrote:
>> I wish I could break it up. Among the problems with this code is the extreme bit
of coupling. The scripts list 300 files to compile because that's all that we would have wanted,
but they pull in other files, which pull in yet others. Trying to compile this fairly small
subsystem winds up building about a third of the entire project.