maven-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Sand" <rs...@idfconnect.com>
Subject RE: API to resolve an artifact in Maven3
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2013 20:30:16 GMT
Hi Ron - I'm not sure what you're telling me. I thought that the capability
to easily write custom plug-ins was part of the goal of Maven. If Maven
doesn't want people outside of Maven writing plug-ins, then you're right the
information I'm looking for isn't useful.

But the javadocs are published - they just aren't filled in. Examples are
published, but they're for Maven 2 and either don't work or are deprecated.
Basic tasks that *seem* to be within the scope of what Maven wants to do are
surprisingly difficult. That's frustrating.

The questions I've asked on this this have been as specific and technical as
I could make them. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time or not respect the
work that others have volunteered.

-Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Wheeler [mailto:rwheeler@artifact-software.com]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 3:11 PM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: Re: API to resolve an artifact in Maven3

You are not using Maven; you are developing a custom plug-in.

That is a development activity so you should expect that it will be more
difficult than what other users need to do and you will need information
that is of no use to anyone else.

It appears that you are trying to extend Maven in a way that is outside what
Maven likes to do so you can expect that some information will be hard to
find outside the code.

Ron

On 22/07/2013 2:54 PM, Richard Sand wrote:
> Hey Russell - DependencyGraphBuilder seems to be for resolving the
> dependencies that the project already has, i.e. in the
> <project><dependencies> element. What I'm trying to do now is
> configure additional dependencies used by my plugin at runtime outside
> of the project dependencies.
>
> I've used a lot of open source projects but I cannot remember one as
> opaque as Maven. I'm looking through maven-dependency-plugin now to
> see if I can glean any insights. It seems that plugin used the same
> technique you did in its DefaultArtifactsResolver utility class. I'm
> going to check out the project from svn to see how its initializing.

>>> n-aeth
>>> er-be-compatible-with-maven-3-0-x-and-3-1-x#comment25769765_17686482
>>>
>>> Now I am using something like that :
>>>      Artifact enforceArtifact =
>>> defaultArtifactFactory.createArtifact(enforceGroupId,enforceArtifact
>>> I
>>> ,enfor
>>> ceVersion,"",enforceType);
>>>      MavenProject enforcePom =
>>> mavenProjectBuilder.buildFromRepository(
>>> enforceArtifact, remoteRepositories, localRepository);
>>>      DependencyNode rootNode =
>>> dependencyGraphBuilder.buildDependencyGraph(enforcePom, new
>>> CumulativeScopeArtifactFilter(Arrays.asList(Artifact.SCOPE_COMPILE,

--
Ron Wheeler
President