maven-users mailing list archives

From Laird Nelson <ljnel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven Mulit Module Project as Dependency
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2013 18:15:44 GMT
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:51 AM, Baptiste MATHUS <bmathus@batmat.net> wrote:

> One other way would be to define an additional module which would be of
> type pom, and would serve as a dedicated import pom. That pom would simply
> depend on the modules you want to provide.

I wanted to reiterate this point because there is no Maven documentation
that reveals that this is possible, and it is one of the most powerful ways
to put together a large, modular system.

To be clear: a project of packaging type pom can be used as a regular old
dependency.  Anything it depends on will be pulled in transitively.

Among other things this means you can whip up a pom.xml that "fronts"
complicated dependencies with custom exclusions and all the other bells and
whistles, but then tell your development team to just depend on this
"facade pom".  That frees you as well to change its makeup as underlying
artifact versions change, bugs are fixed, dependencies are eliminated, etc.
 It's effectively a way to version a subset of a pom independent of the
rest of that pom (which some would argue should have been part of Maven in
the first place).

This may be clear to some, but it is certainly not clear to everyone and it
deserves special mention.  It's powerful stuff.

Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson