maven-users mailing list archives

From Curtis Rueden <ctrue...@wisc.edu>
Subject Re: Pointer for non-standard artifact build?
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:02:07 GMT
Hi Eric,

> I'd like to convert the whole build to Maven, but am running into a
> wall trying to figure out how to create a project that needs no
> source, and packages with other projects' classes and resources.

The general approach to creating a JAR-with-dependencies or "uber-jar" is
to use either maven-assembly-plugin or maven-shade-plugin. The latter in
particular offers a few different features relating to this. You can
certainly create a new project, perhaps with <packaging>pom</packaging>,
and with dependencies on all the artifacts you need to be part of the
uber-jar, whose attached artifact is the generated uber-jar with a GAV of
your choice.

Have you explored using one of those? There may be obstacles with e.g.,
synthesizing your uber-jar's manifest, but we won't really be able to offer
much advice here until you try and can describe the specific issues you're
having in more detail first.

Regards,
Curtis