maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Downloading a file for shipping in an artifact
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 21:27:22 GMT
On 11 June 2013 22:03, James Green <james.mk.green@gmail.com> wrote:

> See responses inline.
>

> On 11 June 2013 21:47, Wayne Fay <waynefay@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Nexus is used to host the .exe file. As the exe originates from a
> > separate
> > > Maven project, and it needs to live somewhere, I folded the exe
> > generation
> > > into an ant task as part of that maven project. Now I have versioned
> > > hosting of the exe.
> >
> > I'm still confused about why you are having this problem at all. I
> > think you are inventing solutions to a problem that already has a
> > solution in Maven.
> >

> That's why I'm here in the hope there is a more accepted way to follow :)
>

> > I expect you are using "deploy:deploy-file" to push this EXE artifact
> > to Nexus -- if not, how are you doing this? Then you should be able to
> > simply add a standard dependency in the WAR pom file against that EXE
> > and it should be pulled down and included along with other
> > dependencies when the WAR is constructed. (Probably you should be
> > using a classifier like "windows" and a type like "exe" when you
> > deploy this file, and then specify those in the WAR pom dependency as
> > well.)
> >

> I'm not at my desk at the moment and I don't recall how the additional file
> (the .exe) gets included in the deploy phase. I'll try to remember to
> report back in the morning more specifically.
>
> In regards to adding the dependency, this seems logical. But won't the file
> be shipped in a part of the archive not normally accessible to web clients?
> Specifically if it ends up in WEB-INF/lib - doesn't feel like a natural
> place to serve downloadable content from.

No, unless it is a "known" file type it will not be included in the .war
*by default*

You will need to use dependency:copy-dependencies to copy the .exe into the
location you want within your .war file

> > > So I'm rather stuck and seeking suggestions. Nexus doesn't appear to be
> > > compatible with the wagon method, while the download plugin appears to
> > > mutate the URL on Linux yet works on Windows. I find both circumstances
> > > rather hard to believe yet my battle today leaves me empty handed and
> > > frustrated.
> >
> > I have never heard of nor used "the download plugin" you speak of. If
> > it does not work as you expect, I'd encourage you to sort out who
> > "owns" it and perhaps talk to them about its deficiencies. This is not
> > an Apache Maven-supported plugin but rather something created by a
> > random user, I'd assume.
> >

> If you search for maven-download-plugin you should reach a project on
> GitHub.

Please advise them to rename their plugin as the current name is in
violation of the permitted usages of the ASF's trademark Maven:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.apache.maven.dev#query:list%3Aorg.apache.maven.dev+page:1+mid:cmqxvj6ddshmnzwr+state:results

And further the name confuses users as to who is responsible for the plugin.