maven-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:30:19 GMT
At some point
you may become dissatisfied with <modelVersion>4.0</modelVersion model "limitations"
in which case you will learn XML and become an expert and you will develop
a)new ComplexTypes
b)new XSDs that reference these new ComplexTypes
c)create a new Model from the newly created XSDs
d)build out a whole new (plexus-)classworlds-(newVersion).jar implementing the constructs
from the new XSDs

Eclipse deliberately obfuscates 99% of the  "unnecessary engineering details" from the eclipse
operator(s)

On the other hand
*If* you can write a plugin for Eclipse (lets say a Android Terminal Emulator) you have my
respect
to write an eclipse plugin you will have to know xml (specfically plugin.xml) so eclipse can
'register' your plugin
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Plug-in-architecture/plugin_architecture.html

the analogy of learning XML in order to properly implement Maven is
if you purchase a Masserati but you are unable to drive a stick then it stays in the garage

Martin-

> From: cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
> To: users@maven.apache.org; rwheeler@artifact-software.com
> Subject: RE: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?
> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:54:20 +0000
>
> I agree wholeheartedly.
>
> Cody Fyler
> Lending Grid Build Team
> cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
> (515)-441-0814

lots of technologies have a much broader palette of solution components However, the specific
question relates to Maven and you really do not need to have any more knowledge of XML than
understanding that <something> will be terminated by </something> and that they
can be nested.

> You can use an IDE that will give you a graphic editor for your POM files.
> You can cut and paste models of POMs.  Your graphic editor should spot any XML validation
errors.

> Ron
>

> > Cody Fyler
> > Lending Grid Build Team
> > cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
> > (515)-441-0814

need an in-depth understanding of XML in order to hack together a Maven POM.