maven-users mailing list archives

From RICHARD DOUST <rdo...@mac.com>
Subject Newbie trying to understand how to use some plugins
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 16:44:04 GMT
Hi,

I'm new to Maven. I'm migrating an EAR that contains 2 war files and an EJB jar file from
JBoss 4.2.2 to JBoss AS 7. In the process, I'm moving to Maven, as it seems to manage dependencies
quite a lot better than Ant. So far, I've created a multi-module POM with 5 sub-modules. I've
gotten past the compilation phase for all of the 5 sub-modules, and am attempting to deploy
the EJB jar file to JBoss AS 7. (I'm not sure this will be my final configuration, i.e., one
master POM and 5 sub-modules, but it's my first cut.) Anyway, I'm running into issues at deployment
time (just starting with the EJB jar as a standalone deployment) because the EJB jar depends
on a 3rd party jar that is not available on the server. In 4.2.2 I copied the 3rd party jar
to $JBOSS_HOME/server/default/lib. I'd like to avoid that this time, so I'm thinking, much
like WAR and EAR files have META-INF/lib directories, a jar file might have something similar.
Does this fall outside the definition of a jar? Is there no way to package a 3rd party jar
upon which one's code depends with one's jar, so that at runtime the dependencies can be resolved
by the classloader?

Thanks.