maven-users mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <r...@gold-family.us>
Subject Re: Ant Project Convert To Maven
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 03:50:51 GMT
Hi Raja,

Having done this several times, with projects of varying complexity, I am sorry to say that
AFAIK there is no automated way to do it. The problem is that ant is a very free form scripting
language that allows you to describe builds - but ant writers cannot be guaranteed to do everything
the same way.

Ant does not require any particular conventions for organizing source trees, invocation of
external programs to process code, or even require a single source tree to map to a single
artifact. Bottom line is, you're going to have to do the change manually. Now if your project
is simple, turning it into a maven build is trivial. But I've spent a couple of works converting
one project, and am in the middle of a massive one with a couple of hundred ant scripts and
a few dozen special processing steps, that I expect to take several months to convert.

Do you have any specific questions about converting your build? How complex is it?

- Russ