maven-users mailing list archives

From <cody.a.fy...@wellsfargo.com>
Subject RE: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:35:26 GMT
I would argue that to be a competent, modern computer programmer, you DO need to learn XML.

There are many powerful things that can be accomplished once you have that knowledge.

Cody Fyler
Lending Grid Build Team
cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
(515)-441-0814

-----Original Message-----
From: ctrueden.wisc@gmail.com [mailto:ctrueden.wisc@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Curtis Rueden
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:31 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?

Hi Nayana,

> Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?

No, if you use Eclipse you can configure your POM in its graphical editor.
Other IDEs may have similar things.

Even if you edit POMs by hand, XML is "human readable" meaning you don't really need an in-depth
understanding of XML in order to hack together a Maven POM.

My definition of "learn XML" would be more like:
* Understand basics: elements vs. attributes, etc.
* Understand XML validation; e.g. XSD and DTD
* Understand XSLT stylesheets
* Understand parsing: SAX, DOM and XPath

And you certainly do not need to know those things to configure a Maven POM.

Regards,
Curtis