maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 19:05:49 GMT
On 27/06/2013 12:30 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:
> At some point
> you may become dissatisfied with <modelVersion>4.0</modelVersion model "limitations"
in which case you will learn XML and become an expert and you will develop
> a)new ComplexTypes
> b)new XSDs that reference these new ComplexTypes
> c)create a new Model from the newly created XSDs
> d)build out a whole new (plexus-)classworlds-(newVersion).jar implementing the constructs
from the new XSDs

> Eclipse deliberately obfuscates 99% of the  "unnecessary engineering details" from the
eclipse operator(s)

> On the other hand
> *If* you can write a plugin for Eclipse (lets say a Android Terminal Emulator) you have
my respect
> to write an eclipse plugin you will have to know xml (specfically plugin.xml) so eclipse
can 'register' your plugin
> http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Plug-in-architecture/plugin_architecture.html
>
> the analogy of learning XML in order to properly implement Maven is
> if you purchase a Masserati but you are unable to drive a stick then it stays in the
garage
That is a bit extreme. It is more like

"if you purchase a Masserati but don't take a performance driving course, you will not get
as much use out of it as if you did."

You can build a multi-module Java application for the web in Maven, without doing anything
more than editing with the GUI in Eclipse and occasionally copying and pasting some XML. This
should be well within the capabilities of a competent Java programmer after reading the Maven
docs and skimming one of the Maven books (do one or two example POMs from the book just to
make sure that you are getting it).

Ron

> Martin-
>
>> From: cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
>> To: users@maven.apache.org; rwheeler@artifact-software.com
>> Subject: RE: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?
>> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:54:20 +0000
>>
>> I agree wholeheartedly.
>>
>> Cody Fyler
>> Lending Grid Build Team
>> cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
>> (515)-441-0814

know lots of technologies have a much broader palette of solution components However, the
specific question relates to Maven and you really do not need to have any more knowledge of
XML than understanding that <something> will be terminated by </something> and
that they can be nested.

>> You can use an IDE that will give you a graphic editor for your POM files.
>> You can cut and paste models of POMs.  Your graphic editor should spot any XML validation
errors.

>> Ron
>>
>>> Cody Fyler
>>> Lending Grid Build Team
>>> cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
>>> (515)-441-0814

need an in-depth understanding of XML in order to hack together a Maven POM.