maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:52:17 GMT
On 27/06/2013 11:35 AM, cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> I would argue that to be a competent, modern computer programmer, you DO need to learn
XML.

> There are many powerful things that can be accomplished once you have that knowledge.
You are right that in general XML is useful for lots of things and that
people who know lots of technologies have a much broader palette of
solution components However, the specific question relates to Maven and
you really do not need to have any more knowledge of XML than
understanding that <something> will be terminated by </something> and
that they can be nested.

You can use an IDE that will give you a graphic editor for your POM files.
You can cut and paste models of POMs.  Your graphic editor should spot
any XML validation errors.

Ron

> Cody Fyler
> Lending Grid Build Team
> cody.a.fyler@wellsfargo.com
> (515)-441-0814

an in-depth understanding of XML in order to hack together a Maven POM.

> My definition of "learn XML" would be more like:
> * Understand basics: elements vs. attributes, etc.
> * Understand XML validation; e.g. XSD and DTD
> * Understand XSLT stylesheets
> * Understand parsing: SAX, DOM and XPath
>
> And you certainly do not need to know those things to configure a Maven POM.
>
> Regards,
> Curtis
>

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Nayana ABREU <holanda.nayana@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Is it necessary to learn XML in order to lear Maven?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Nayana Holanda de Abreu
>> holanda.nayana@gmail.com