maven-users mailing list archives

From Mark Derricutt <m...@talios.com>
Subject Re: Multiple JDK versions
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:52:48 GMT
-1 on this. The JDK is *not* 100% backwards compatible.  It's FORWARDS
compatible yes, but not backwards.

One case I know of is that certain String methods in JDK6 went from
taking (String s) as an arg, to taking (CharSequence c) as arguments, if
compiled against JDK6 -even if targetting 1.5 bytecode- the compiled
method signature looks for CharSequence, which when run on JDK5 fails
with method-not-found and blows up.

There -are- legitimate cases for compiling with JDK5/JDK6 as your
boot-class-path - for this - the toolchains plugin is your answer.

Mark