maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to execute a POM with a different basedir?
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:27:42 GMT
On 14/06/2013 10:40 AM, David P. Caldwell wrote:
> Ron asks:
>
>> Why?
>> What is the problem that you are actually trying to solve?
> I explained it at more length in the original question, but more
> succinctly: I want to be able to execute a project with an arbitrary
> POM file without modifying the original source repository or source
> working directory in any way (including modifying the configuration of
> ignored files, which someone mentioned as a possibility). I want to
> generate this POM file at runtime by reading the original file and
> making various kinds of transformations to it, mostly involving
> altering project dependencies and/or specifying additional plugins.

I got that in the original post but why?
What software development problem are you trying to solve?

I am assuming that this is not some academic exercise in exploring the
limits of maven and that you have a real world software development need.
If you can tell us this, there might be a solution that builds the
artifacts that you need and does not require changing the basedir.

Ron

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM, David P. Caldwell
> <david@code.davidpcaldwell.com> wrote:
>> The use case is that I have a project (actually, many projects, so I
>> want to be able to do this in bulk) that are source-controlled and I'd
>> like to be able to create a modified version of the POM in a temporary
>> directory and then execute that modified POM, but against the original
>> base directory without altering the source-controlled POM in my
>> source-controlled working directory.
>>
>> Obviously I could do this by copying the entire source tree and then
>> running my modified POM, but I'd like to do this without having to
>> copy every file every time, as these projects are often large and I
>> want to be able to execute this tool routinely.
>>
>> My initial attempt was to set -Dbasedir on the command line, but this
>> does not appear to have the effect for which I was hoping.
>>
>> I can think of several imperfect workarounds, including copying the
>> entire source directory (expensive), generating a temporary file in
>> the base directory (make sure not to commit it!), overwriting the POM
>> (then need to repeatedly refresh from source control to restore the
>> original), and reading and remembering the POM, overwriting it with
>> the updated version, running Maven, and then overwriting the updates
>> with the original (hope the process doesn't crash in a way that
>> prevents me from restoring the original). I'd probably lean toward the
>> last but it's more cumbersome and error-prone than I'd like. Is what
>> I'd like possible?
>>
>> -- David Caldwell
>> http://www.davidpcaldwell.com/

Ron Wheeler