maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Ant Project Convert To Maven
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 04:11:53 GMT
Start by scanning a few of the free books and articles about Maven.
This will give you a good overview of the Maven way of looking at things.

I use Eclipse/STS from SpringSource http://www.springsource.org/sts.
It is a very good Maven IDE and comes ready to go with a single download.

I am sure that you will find a lot of Netbeans users here who are also
happy.

Maven is driven by convention and is very set in its ways.
Forget anything that you know about Ant and be prepared to completely
rethink your build processes.
If you try to make Maven into an advanced Ant build, you will have a big
fight on your hands until you change your mind.
Maven will not change its mind about building software no matter how
hard you try to bend it to your will.

Start out with a simple Maven project model and get it working before
you try to optimize your process.
A lot of people get into trouble by trying to implement advanced
automation before they get their project to build as a simple Maven project.

In the end, you will have a much more repeatable build process that can
be shared with your team without having to explain the steps.
It is pretty easy and safe to pick up someone's maven project and
rebuild it without having to read their POM files.

Ron

On 13/06/2013 11:50 PM, Russell Gold wrote:
> Hi Raja,
>
> Having done this several times, with projects of varying complexity, I am sorry to say
that AFAIK there is no automated way to do it. The problem is that ant is a very free form
scripting language that allows you to describe builds - but ant writers cannot be guaranteed
to do everything the same way.

> Ant does not require any particular conventions for organizing source trees, invocation
of external programs to process code, or even require a single source tree to map to a single
artifact. Bottom line is, you're going to have to do the change manually. Now if your project
is simple, turning it into a maven build is trivial. But I've spent a couple of works converting
one project, and am in the middle of a massive one with a couple of hundred ant scripts and
a few dozen special processing steps, that I expect to take several months to convert.

--
Ron Wheeler
President