maven-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Animal sniffer
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 15:41:02 GMT
William Eason <willeason2@gmail.com> wrote on 05/17/2013 11:21:37 AM:

> Yes I've used it.  I thought it worked great!
>
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Jeffrey E Care <carej@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> > Is anyone using animal-sniffer? I found & reported a potential problem
on
> > the mojo mailing list, but no response so far. I'm wondering if anyone
here
> > on the list is using it or has used it in the past.

Can I ask when was that last time that you used it? Which version? What
problem(s) were you trying to solve?

I'm looking for a tool that my team can use to validate version-to-version
API compatibility of our modules. My use case is to record the API
signature of version n-1, then during builds of version n compare the
current API signature to version n-1's signature. I thought that I could
use animal-sniffer for this, but even my very simple test shows that
neither the check goal nor the enforcer rule complains about even simple
breaking changes (like deleting a whole class!).

Are there any alternative tools available for this use case? I really
don't want to have to roll my own here...