maven-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Animal sniffer
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 16:40:28 GMT
Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote on 05/17/2013
11:49:36 AM:

> That is not a use case for animal sniffer.
> http://mojo.codehaus.org/clirr-maven-plugin/
> Or
> http://mojo.codehaus.org/jdiff-maven-plugin/
>
> On Friday, 17 May 2013, Jeffrey E Care wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a tool that my team can use to validate
version-to-version
> > API compatibility of our modules. My use case is to record the API
> > signature of version n-1, then during builds of version n compare the
> > current API signature to version n-1's signature. [snip]

Thank you Stephan! After changing my tire-kicker projects to clirr I'm
seeing the kind of results I was hoping for.

As a follow-up, what exactly is the use case for animal sniffer? Is it
really limited to JDK compat. checking? Based on everything I read (and
obviously misunderstood) I thought animal sniffer would have been perfect
for my use case.