maven-users mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: release plugin, different executable name ('mvn3')
Date Tue, 14 May 2013 09:35:54 GMT
On 14 May 2013, at 10:02 AM, José Manuel Castroagudín Silva <chavescesures@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is what I'm seeing:
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-release-plugin:2.4.1:prepare
> (default-cli) on project <project>: Failed to invoke Maven build.
> Error configuring command-line. Reason: Maven executable not found at:
> <maven.home>/bin/mvn -> [Help 1]
>
> (some specific details edited out)
>
> I was assuming that was the default behavior (as seen on
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-428 ).

While maven doesn't care about the name of the executable used to run maven, maven does care
that MAVEN_HOME follows the correct structure, and it looks like MAVEN_HOME isn't correctly
laid out, most specifically that the bin directory exists and has an "mvn" script in it.

In our case we have packaged maven to have an out-the-box MAVEN_HOME structure, and then symlinked
/usr/bin/mvn3 to ${MAVEN_HOME}/bin/mvn, and that worked for us.

This seems to be a general maven problem, not a release plugin problem.

Regards,
Graham