maven-users mailing list archives

From Joe Osowski <joe.osow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maven-dependency-plugin purge proper usage
Date Sun, 12 May 2013 00:47:36 GMT
Yes, you are correct.  However, the problem with release/snapshots is that maven assumes a
revision in the VCS is a release.  But in reality, a release is the binary built by maven.
 Using snapshots with multiple snapshot dependencies introduces changes at release time that
a release engineer has get to right, and mistakes will get made.  The binary that is tested
needs to be the release, not a binary that gets generated after the release.  For us anyway,
I'm sure with fewer or no snapshot dependencies it's different.

On May 11, 2013, at 2:39 PM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

>>> You do realize that this is a really bad idea, and it will eventually
>>> bite you, right?
>>
>> I can see why you would say that.  We do weekly internal releases, using snapshots
introduces a lot of complexity into the release process across our dependencies.

> What you're doing is trying to subvert releases and turn them into snapshots, instead
of just using snapshots exactly as they were designed.

> Every new person to your project will see releases and assume they are, in fact, releases.
Later, they will get a rude shock when they discover that what they thought was released code
was actually snapshot code and sudden unexpected code changes and breakages appear. With no
visible difference between a snapshot and a release, all bets are off.