maven-users mailing list archives

From Sven Bauhan <sven.bau...@ast.dfs.de>
Subject Mismatch by inherited dependencies
Date Tue, 14 May 2013 08:09:53 GMT
Hi, I have another question:

I have two projects, one java library and a swing application using this
library. For the library I use the apache maven-javadoc-plugin to create
an API documentation, cause this library shall be used by various
applications.

The swing application has a dependency to this library and so it also
gets an inherited dependency to the javadoc plugin. With this also log4j
is inherited as dependency, but with an old version.
In the application also log4j is used, but the latest version. So we
have a version conflict.

We could solve this yet by excluding the javadoc plugin in the
dependency description:
     <dependency>
       <groupId>de.dfs.msg.atsm</groupId>
       <artifactId>atsm-camel</artifactId>
       <version>0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
       <exclusions>
         <exclusion>
         </exclusion>
       </exclusions>
     </dependency>
But this is not a good way to do, cause this has to be done by all
applications using the library.

Is there a way to define the dependency in the library pom not to be
inherited?
I saw there is a scope definition for dependencies, but I did not
understand this concept yet. Would this be a solution?

Thanks,
Sven