maven-users mailing list archives

From Ben Caradoc-Davies <>
Subject Re: avoiding to write into user home
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 08:21:41 GMT
+1. I have done this. Caching cannot be disabled: it is what maven does.
But you can control where the cache is stored. The final step is to
invoke maven with:

mvn -s /path/to/alternate/settings.xml

With this command-line option and settings defined as noted by Stephen
below, nothing will be written to the user home directory.

Kind regards,

On 13/05/13 16:12, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> The local repository cache is by default stored in ~/.m2/repository
> In the users or global settings this default can be changed to some other
> location. (See<localRepository>  in
> Keep in mind that the cache is not concurrent safe, and is definitely not
> designed to be shared by multiple users as it can and does get used to
> store a user's temporary build artifacts if they do "mvn install"
> Our recommendation is that each user has their own cache, and if there is a
> strong likelyhood of a user running multiple concurrent builds of the same
> or similar sets of artifacts then those builds should be using their own
> cache... e.g. a CI server should have a separate cache for each build job.
> On 13 May 2013 08:47, Radim Kolar<>  wrote:
>> i got this report**
>> query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/178529<>user
complaining about maven writing to home directory during compile.