maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Another Maven 1 to 2 upgrade issue.
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 16:15:06 GMT
On 01/05/2013 12:03 PM, tedhohio wrote:
> Wayne Fay wrote
>>> So I upgraded one of the supporting jars to Maven 2 and it seemed to work
>> What does this mean? How did you "upgrade" the jar to Maven 2?
>>
>>> Hope it's making sense,
>> We need more concrete details to be helpful. You should be able to
>> manage your dependencies via the various pom files.
>>
>> Wayne

>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> users-help@.apache
>
> I converted using the convert plug-in, it produced the POM and compiling
> using Maven 2 worked fine.  No errors -- at least not until I hit the
> transitive dependencies when I updated the main app POM.  I 'assumed' that
> having the newer dependency in the main app jar would override any
> dependency from the supporting jar, but it's not.
>
> Better example Spring.  The SpringFramework jar (1.2.8) contains a
> org.springframework.util package with a class StringUtils.  I import that
> into several class files and use several of the trim functions, part of
> cleaning up user input.
>
> With the maven2 compiled jar, the import is using the SpringFramework from a
> different dependency which also have a org.springframework.util and a
> StringUtils class, but the trim method I want to use isn't in that one --
> even though my main app has the dependency in the POM.  It took me a while
> to realize that the dependency hierarchy was pulling from other jars.
> Frustrating!

Not really a Maven problem.
Maven can not select dependencies for you.
You need to fix up your dependencies and then test to make sure that the
latest version of spring does the same thing as 1.2.8 which is pretty old.
When the application is running, you will get only one version of each
library and it is best to specify the one you want.
The nicest way is to remove all version numbers and have a parent pom
that includes a dependency management section whose only job is to
specify versions.
Then you are sure that all your code is compiled with the same version
of Spring or whatever.
When you are ready to move to a new version, just change it in the
parent and when you recompile your child modules, they will all be
compiled with the right version.

> --

Ron Wheeler
President