maven-users mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: maven-dependency-plugin purge proper usage
Date Sat, 11 May 2013 21:39:03 GMT
On 11 May 2013, at 10:17 PM, Joe Osowski <joe.osowski@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> the build to make sure the latest dependencies are downloaded, as we sometimes
>>> change the non snapshot released binaries on our local maven repository.
>>
>> You do realize that this is a really bad idea, and it will eventually
>> bite you, right?
>
> I can see why you would say that.  We do weekly internal releases, using snapshots introduces
a lot of complexity into the release process across our dependencies.

What you're doing is trying to subvert releases and turn them into snapshots, instead of just
using snapshots exactly as they were designed.

Every new person to your project will see releases and assume they are, in fact, releases.
Later, they will get a rude shock when they discover that what they thought was released code
was actually snapshot code and sudden unexpected code changes and breakages appear. With no
visible difference between a snapshot and a release, all bets are off.

Regards,
Graham