maven-users mailing list archives

From tedhohio <tedho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Another Maven 1 to 2 upgrade issue.
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 16:03:11 GMT
Wayne Fay wrote
>> So I upgraded one of the supporting jars to Maven 2 and it seemed to work
>
> What does this mean? How did you "upgrade" the jar to Maven 2?
>
>> Hope it's making sense,
>
> We need more concrete details to be helpful. You should be able to
> manage your dependencies via the various pom files.
>
> Wayne

> For additional commands, e-mail:

> users-help@.apache

I converted using the convert plug-in, it produced the POM and compiling
using Maven 2 worked fine.  No errors -- at least not until I hit the
transitive dependencies when I updated the main app POM.  I 'assumed' that
having the newer dependency in the main app jar would override any
dependency from the supporting jar, but it's not.

Better example Spring.  The SpringFramework jar (1.2.8) contains a
org.springframework.util package with a class StringUtils.  I import that
into several class files and use several of the trim functions, part of
cleaning up user input.

With the maven2 compiled jar, the import is using the SpringFramework from a
different dependency which also have a org.springframework.util and a
StringUtils class, but the trim method I want to use isn't in that one --
even though my main app has the dependency in the POM.  It took me a while
to realize that the dependency hierarchy was pulling from other jars.
Frustrating!