maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@scalaris.com>
Subject Re: Unpacking jars into target/classes
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:07:21 GMT
Hi Jo,

Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Am 07.03.2013 10:00, schrieb Jörg Schaible:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Joachim Durchholz wrote:

>> plugin/install-file-mojo.html>goal
>>>
>>> The overall organisational project structure does not allow any central
>>> servers beyond the SCM.
>>> It would also be silly to redundantly store a perfectly stable jar in a
>>> Maven repo just to make Maven happy.
>>
>> But that's the point: Maven is all about conventions. It will not help
>> you a lot in other regards - on purpose.
>
> So if a tool doesn't what it should, that's just on purpose? Come on.
> Oh, and conventions are useless unless applied to some domain, and Maven
> does indeed have domains (dependency management, builds, build stability).
>
> Sorry to sound harsh, but "it's on purpose" is just a cheap cop-out.
>
>  > If you don't want to follow this
>> conventions, it is probably no the right tool for your job.
>
> I claim that Maven's stance of essentially requiring a repository
> manager needlessly complicates the build infrastructure.
>
> Regards,
> Jo
>
> P.S.: Not that discussing Maven's philosophy helps my original problem
> in any way... essentially you're saying "Maven can't do that and that's
> okay", and I say "if Maven can't do that by design, then the design of
> Maven is broken".
> You consider my position baseless because, from your perspective, I want
> the undesirable; I consider your position baseless because you're
> putting some very abstract theory about what's desirable ahead of very
> concrete and practical needs, and I consider theory useless if it
> doesn't cover all bases.
> Given that situation, I don't think it's going to be very fruitful to
> discuss Maven's philosophy.

You're free to have a different opinion, but don't expect Maven to change or
to get a lot of help from the community then. A tool is designed for a
special purpose and either you accept that or you get yourself into trouble.
Maven was never meant as golden bullet for all cases. Personally, I'll
simply stop to look at your questions, because you waste my time and IMHO
you waste yours, too. And this is nothing personal nor do I want to start a
flame war, it's just experience of using Maven for a lot of years.

Best whishes,
Jörg