maven-users mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Deployment
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2013 17:35:27 GMT
On 3 Mar 2013, at 16:24, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:

> I have a hard time seeing how Maven can be bent to do this without making maven even
more complex.

In my experience, maven has all the tools needed already out the box, the problems I encountered
while doing it were bugs, which I fixed and contributed back to maven.

Key to this is use the tools appropriately. Maven is good at building and releasing, rpm/deb/yum/apt-get
are good for packaging and deployment, while puppet/chef are good for managing whole boxes.

> I think that preparing deployment artifacts such as RPMs and windows msi or exe files
that are based in idividual platform and customer configurations requires a lot more information
than maven should know about.

Configuration can be just as complex as code, you reach a point where constantly trying to
roll configurations by hand is just too time consuming and error prone.

Modern OSes come with the ability to install and roll back software atomically, extending
that to configuration is a logical next step. The configuration may be general, or it may
be specific to a given environment, either is possible.

Regards,
Graham