maven-users mailing list archives

From Adrien Rivard <adrien.riv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unpacking jars into target/classes
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:16:48 GMT
On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo@durchholz.org> wrote:

> Am 07.03.2013 10:00, schrieb Jörg Schaible:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> Joachim Durchholz wrote:

>>> plugin/install-file-mojo.html>**goal
>>
>>> to make maven artifacts out of the jars you intend to unpack, and do
>>>>

>>> The overall organisational project structure does not allow any central
>>> servers beyond the SCM.
>>> It would also be silly to redundantly store a perfectly stable jar in a
>>> Maven repo just to make Maven happy.
>>>

>> But that's the point: Maven is all about conventions. It will not help
>> you a
>> lot in other regards - on purpose.
>>

> So if a tool doesn't what it should, that's just on purpose? Come on.
> Oh, and conventions are useless unless applied to some domain, and Maven
> does indeed have domains (dependency management, builds, build stability).
>
> Sorry to sound harsh, but "it's on purpose" is just a cheap cop-out.
>

> > If you don't want to follow this
>
>> conventions, it is probably no the right tool for your job.
>>

> I claim that Maven's stance of essentially requiring a repository manager
> needlessly complicates the build infrastructure.

It may complicate the build infrastrucure but it simplify and homogenize a
lots all the builds of all your project. Which is what Maven is all about.

If you don't want to use a repository manager, just don't use Maven, Maven
is not flexible by design. If you want to use it outside its main design,
you will have a too complex build. This will be better achieved with a
tools that support scripting in its design.

That said, it is still useful to have a repopsitory manager even with
others build tools like gradle/ant+ivy.

Regards,