maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unpacking jars into target/classes
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 21:20:27 GMT
On Tuesday, 19 March 2013, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Am 19.03.2013 12:13, schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
>> Jo,
>>
>> Just for you, I have taken the 30 minutes out of my life and written a
>> Maven Plugin that will solve your issues with those pesky non-maven
>> dependencies.
>>
>> https://github.com/stephenc/**non-maven-jar-maven-plugin<https://github.com/stephenc/non-maven-jar-maven-plugin>
>>

> Sorry, but that bold text is a piece of both impudence and arrogance.
>
> I don't think we have anything to discuss with each other anymore.

Pity, you are missing out on the solution you seek.

I need to put that disclaimer on the project because I am on the Maven PMC
and therefore, even though the project is hosted on my GitHub account as
opposed to the ASF or the mojo project at codehaus it is necessary to let
people who stumble upon the project be aware that it is *not the
recommended solution*. I have a responsibility both as a committer on the
maven project and as a member of the maven project management committee,
that responsibility ethically requires that I encourage the ways of using
maven that benefit the ecosystem of maven users.

There are some small legitimate use cases for the plugin, hence why I wrote
it and published it on central... But there will be a temptation from the
Mr Random user who spots this login and says "oh look that's by stephenc
and he's on the PMC, so using this must be on the Maven way"... And no that
is not a theory, I've had that happen before with some file:/// based
repository hacks that I employed a couple of years ago... Thankfully
java.net is no longer a code hosting environment, and the source code with
those hacks is long long buried, but it triggered a raft of problems from
people abusing the hack and not understanding the limits of the hack.

This plugin is a more stable hack, but it is still a hack, so it needs a
warning. This is not the first time you have jumped on such a warning and
interpreted it as an insult directed at you. I assure you that is not the
case.