maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unpacking jars into target/classes
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:55:47 GMT
On 7 March 2013 12:34, Joachim Durchholz <jo@durchholz.org> wrote:

> Am 07.03.2013 13:05, schrieb Andreas Gudian:
>
>  That's not really what I want.
>>> I want a declarative specification so the tool can decide what build
>>> steps
>>> to run.
>>> I want full scripting only for the individual build steps. This probably
>>> means an obligation to specify the declarative metadata so the tool can
>>> set
>>> up its build plan. Plus this probably also means that people will need a
>>> way to test whether their metadata are correct, since otherwise people
>>> will
>>> get subtle errors into the build plan.
>>>

>> Then the ant-plugin should help you. Eclipse might have a harder time in
>> that case, though.
>>

> I've been considering the ant plugin, but that's excactly the catch I've
> been worrying about.
>
> The other reason is that Maven literature have generally been listing Ant
> as a kind of cop-out that should be avoided.
> But maybe I've been taking that advice more seriously than it was ever
> intended, so I'll probably try that.

The Maven philosophy is to avoid writing one-time code as much as possible.

So using antrun or the groovy plugins to run some 'specific to this build
only' step is frowned upon for the reason that it is most likely something
that could be reused in other projects if just made a little more generic
and then everyone wins.

When you write a "this project only" step, you are forcing anyone looking
at the build at a later point in time to figure out what the hell that is
doing. A properly documented plugin execution (yes yes when the hell have
we ever seen one of them... that's the difference between philosophy and
actually doing stuff) would just mean that I look at the plugin
documentation and hey! I know what thats doing.

BUT if you are doing something that is crazy and stupid and just has to be
this way for this one and only project, then antrun or the ant plugin or
the groovy plugin, they are all just fine and dandy and perfect for your
requirements.... if it turns out later that with some minor tweaks it could
be turned into a plugin that is generally useful to other projects... then
the frowns and looks of disapproval will reappear ;-)