maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Unpacking jars into target/classes
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 01:44:14 GMT
How do you write documentation for something that you have never used
and have no idea what the options are?

I have worked on documentation for some projects but I can only go so
far without the active involvement of the author.
The biggest thing that I can bring is my ignorance which makes me read
what is there and ask good questions about WTF does it mean and what
needs to be said so that someone who did not write it can use it.
It does require access to someone who can answer those questions.

Ron

On 14/03/2013 9:16 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:
> On 7 March 2013 23:24, Joachim Durchholz <jo@durchholz.org> wrote:
>> It's never a bad idea to improve the docs, but the real problem is the
>> plugin docs. Many options are "documented" along the lines of "frob: frobs
>> the build", which isn't very helpful. Few if any plugins clearly document
>> the use cases they are built for, or (almost more importantly) the use cases
>> that will not work. Of course, lifting the restrictions would be even more
>> helpful than documenting them :-)
> Have you considered enhancing the documentation?
>
> If you are stuck with the tool you might as well help yourself in the
> future when you get frustrated, a side benefit is that this also helps
> others.
>
> You are also welcome to file jira's with patches and unit tests to
> remove those restrictions.

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc