maven-users mailing list archives

From Eric Kolotyluk <eric.koloty...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deployment
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2013 17:51:45 GMT

On 2013-03-03 9:35 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2013, at 16:24, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a hard time seeing how Maven can be bent to do this without making maven even
more complex.
> In my experience, maven has all the tools needed already out the box, the problems I
encountered while doing it were bugs, which I fixed and contributed back to maven.

> Key to this is use the tools appropriately. Maven is good at building and releasing,
rpm/deb/yum/apt-get are good for packaging and deployment, while puppet/chef are good for
managing whole boxes.

I agree, the point is not to add to or change Maven, the point is to
effectively use the Maven we already have. No bending required :-)

>> I think that preparing deployment artifacts such as RPMs and windows msi or exe files
that are based in idividual platform and customer configurations requires a lot more information
than maven should know about.
> Configuration can be just as complex as code, you reach a point where constantly trying
to roll configurations by hand is just too time consuming and error prone.

> Modern OSes come with the ability to install and roll back software atomically, extending
that to configuration is a logical next step. The configuration may be general, or it may
be specific to a given environment, either is possible.