maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Deployment
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2013 16:24:21 GMT
I have a hard time seeing how Maven can be bent to do this without
making maven even more complex.

I think that preparing deployment artifacts such as RPMs and windows msi
or exe files that are based in idividual platform and customer
configurations requires a lot more information than maven should know about.
Some of this probably attaches more to the corporate ERP (customer info,
options purchased) than to the code generation and dependency
information that Maven usually deals with.
At some point in a product's maturity, developers stop being concerned
with who has bought the product and what platform the client uses and
this moves to a fulfillment/support group that is client oriented.

It is probably a good idea to build a system that manages the client
information relating to configuration and use this to feed files and
installer instructions to existing installer builders that build custom
installers based on the client's desire (OS, branding, configuration)

Ron

On 03/03/2013 6:59 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2013, at 03:56, Eric Kolotyluk <eric.kolotyluk@gmail.com> wrote:.
>
>>> Modern OSes come with installation systems out the box, and operations people
already understand those existing systems, there needs to be a very compelling reason to deploy
some software using the platform's own deployment mechanism, and other software via a different
system.
>> I wish this were so, but I can easily think of a half a dozen different ways software
gets installed or deployed on Windows. Some people use .msi files, other people use InstallAnywhere,
and there are all kinds of different mechanisms.
> This isn't a problem that I can see, ideally maven should support all of them, but it
is good enough that maven should support just one.

> Regards,
> Graham
> --

Ron Wheeler