maven-users mailing list archives

From Eric Kolotyluk <eric.koloty...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deployment
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2013 03:56:12 GMT

On 2013-03-02 7:02 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 02 Mar 2013, at 5:40 AM, Eric Kolotyluk <eric.kolotyluk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been toying with the idea for a while as a software developer who has had
to build installers for applications and services, and I am often dissatisfied with the experience
I get using other people's installers. At one time I was playing with the idea of my own installer
that would be cross platform, but the initial bootstrap would be platform dependent, and install
enough platform independent stuff, to do the rest in a standard way.
> Modern OSes come with installation systems out the box, and operations people already
understand those existing systems, there needs to be a very compelling reason to deploy some
software using the platform's own deployment mechanism, and other software via a different
system.

I wish this were so, but I can easily think of a half a dozen different
ways software gets installed or deployed on Windows. Some people use
.msi files, other people use InstallAnywhere, and there are all kinds of
different mechanisms.

> The deployment systems that are the most painful are those systems that target a specific
language. You can't just get operations to install the software, you have to suddenly turn
your operations people into language programmers to figure things out when a deployment goes
wrong.

Agreed. Operations people should not have to be software developers,
just specialized computer users.

> Ideally I'd like to see maven make it easy to create OS specific installers to offer
the best experience for each OS, rather than come up with a competing system.

That is my fantasy too.