maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Deployment
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 01:31:54 GMT
My feeling is that this would be a major addition to Maven and would
still be missing a lot of stuff.
It looks more like a CMS with some rules and some processes that
construct a zip or an installer.
You need a lot of flexibility in defining how assets are assembled into
the required artifact.

Of course, one could extend Maven but it would almost be a complete rewrite.

I think that we would be better served by looking at what Maven does
well and specifying a downstream process that incorporates the ideas
that you identified below but into a system that focuses on deployment.

It probably will attract a different type of person to the project.
I would expect that the Maven team is heavily weighted towards
developers as committers.

The design and implementation of this new facility should be driven by
system administrators and infrastructure support types who spend their
days making applications run in production.

Ron

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc