maven-users mailing list archives

From Eric Kolotyluk <eric.koloty...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deployment
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 01:06:54 GMT
Thanks for the pointers Stephen,...

http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Chef+Basics

https://puppetlabs.com/puppet/what-is-puppet/

Ron,...

Yes, I remember that deployment was outside the scope of Maven, but one
of the things I like about Maven is the repository concept. I was
advocating extending this concept from the development realm to the
deployment realm sort of the way Microsoft's Global Assembly Cache (GAC)
works, but for open-source artifacts. In particular, we could leverage
existing technology and tools such as Maven, Nexus, Maven Central, etc.

For example, in terms of bootstrapping, you might have a simple
open-source installer the checks to see if there exists a local system
or network GAR (Global Artifact Repository), and if not, creates one.
Then it follows an embedded script, or remote script via URI, to start
populating the GAR with the artifacts needed. Finally, when it starts
deploying actual applications and services, it can simply build a
classpath by referencing locations in the GAR.

I was installing Akka recently, and it seemed to be doing something
similar to what I was looking for. There was a small bootstrap
installers, that just kept pulling more and more stuff in.

I have a project that is Maven based, and every time I setup my
development environment on a new system, I am simply amazed while I
watch Maven download hundreds of artifacts, and then it just builds my
project. I would like to have this kind of awesome experience in
production deployment tools.

Cheers, Eric