maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Deployment
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 22:07:52 GMT
On 01/03/2013 4:26 PM, Eric Kolotyluk wrote:
> A while back we had some interesting discussions on using Maven, or
> maven-like technology for deploying production software. I was wondering if
> anything new has been happening since then.
>
> Basically what I am hoping to see is a generic installer framework that
> bootstraps deployment of a production system or service the way Maven
> bootstraps a development environment.
>
> Can anyone point me to anything happening on that front?
>
> Cheers, Eric

My recollection of the conversation is that deployment is outside the
scope of Maven and there are other tools that approach this from a more
effective base functionality.
Maven works best at giving you 1 artifact for a project whereas
deployment needs to be able to generate a whole set of artifacts based
on configurations that include
- software artifacts
- configuration files
- branding
- documentation
- release notes
- license agreements
- installer
each of which may have to be customized for each client or each
deployment architecture(OS, database, etc.) or each deployment
environment(production, test, QA) .

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler