maven-users mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Deployment
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 15:02:21 GMT
On 02 Mar 2013, at 5:40 AM, Eric Kolotyluk <eric.kolotyluk@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been toying with the idea for a while as a software developer who has had to build
installers for applications and services, and I am often dissatisfied with the experience
I get using other people's installers. At one time I was playing with the idea of my own installer
that would be cross platform, but the initial bootstrap would be platform dependent, and install
enough platform independent stuff, to do the rest in a standard way.

Modern OSes come with installation systems out the box, and operations people already understand
those existing systems, there needs to be a very compelling reason to deploy some software
using the platform's own deployment mechanism, and other software via a different system.

The deployment systems that are the most painful are those systems that target a specific
language. You can't just get operations to install the software, you have to suddenly turn
your operations people into language programmers to figure things out when a deployment goes
wrong.

Ideally I'd like to see maven make it easy to create OS specific installers to offer the best
experience for each OS, rather than come up with a competing system.

Regards,
Graham