maven-users mailing list archives

From Adrien Rivard <adrien.riv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: dynamically select resources and apply filtering
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:42:07 GMT
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Jean-Noël Colin <jn.colin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to migrate my project from ant to maven, but I'm facing a few
> difficulties; I need to build my project for different environments
> (customers, so possibly a long list). In my ant project, I had several
> .properties file, one per customer; in this file, I had properties used to
> customize some config file; I managed to use resource filtering to achieve
> this.

The best way to handle this is to externalize your configuration.This way,
you build one time one war that never changed, and you deploy this one
along with the configuration file.
Since you already have properties you should just externalize them (spring
placeholder ..). Another option would be to use JNDI (more flexible but
also more complicated IMO)

The second option is to multiple the number of project (1 master and a lots
of nearly empty one for each customers.), but this work only if you know
the configuration at build time.

The Thing to not do is to build one project multiple times, but each time
different. (Basic maven rule : One project -> one artifact)

> However, some properties defined a filename that needed to be copied to
> the war archive, but under a common name. For instance, I had several
> logos: logo_customer1.jpg, logo_customer2.jpg, logo_customer3.jpg; the
> source file name was specified in the properties file
> (customer1.properties, customer2.properties, customer3.properties), but the
> destination was always logo.jpg. How can I do that?
>
> On a webapp, I usually read it through a Servlet that read the path
configured in the properties.

> Second, the properties file defines the name of the file (resources) to be
> filtered. For instance, I have a template for working with Spring Security
> in LDAP environment and another template when working when Active
> Directory; the customer properties file defined the name of the template to
> use, but in both cases, the result file needs to be
> applicationContext-security.xml. How can i achieve this? Or is there a way
> to define conditional profiles so that in the customer .properties file, I
> would say LDAP or AD, and based on that value, different profile would be
> used?

Spring can perfectly handle multiple authentication Manager, if only one is
configured, one will failed, the other will work.