maven-users mailing list archives

From Adrien Rivard <adrien.riv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compiling maven plugin and using it in the same project.
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:35:26 GMT
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Mariusz Pluciński <
plucinski.mariusz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Why would you want to build a plug-in each time?
> > Plug-ins are usually very stable and don't change from one year to the
> next.
> >
> > What is the underlying problem that you are trying to solve that
> requires a new plug-in each time.
>

> Yes, plugins used extensively by various people are usually very stable
> and don't change. But this is not my case.
>
> However, my plugins are not yet stable, and I am doing various changes in
> it. I said "plugins", as I currently have written two additional plugins
> for my project (maybe the third one will appear too). Anyway, they are not
> yet stable, and I often need to fix various things in them. Until now, I
> was doing it by two-steps: 1) compile & install my plugins; 2) compile my
> project. I have thought, that it would be good to have them both built in
> one step. But then, the problem described in first post appeared.
>
> If you are asking about what are those plugins: the one does
> bytecode-level modifications on compiled classes. It is quite similar to
> feature called 'relocations' available in maven-shade-plugin, but doing
> changes that Shade cannot do. The second one is the plugin for compiling
> classes written in Jasmin (JVM Assembler).
>
> The second thing is that I want to allow my users to build project only by
> typing "mvm package<enter>" and get everything ready. I can of course,
> write a README with detailed instruction and so on, but I would prefer to
> avoid it, if possible. Additionally, I would prefer not to mess local
> repository and keep everything in source code tree, as I did until now.

One simple solution to this problem would be to use a MRM (maven repository
manager)
You deploy the plugins in it, and the users just use them as any others
maven plugins.
This make sense particulary if you are the only one to modify it and if the
plugins lifecyle are decoupled from the project lifecyle.