maven-users mailing list archives

From "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: Is there any generic Maven code generator?
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:57:06 GMT
Ahem ... this wasn't quite the path I was indenting to go with my question.

What I am looking for is a generator-plugin that uses a template engine (such as Velocity)
to generate code, and uses as input an pojo-object model representing the details of a Java
class that it should generate code for.

Now I would like to have (or create, if I have to) a plugin, that allows me to specify which
classes I am addressing using some include/exclude config.

I could configure different include/exclude groups, each one in one execution and for each
I could provide a set of:
- resourceTemplates
- testResourceTemplates
- sourceStubTemplates
- sourceTemplates
- testSourceStubTemplates
- testSourceTemplates
- ...
So for each matched class, I could generage:
- resources into the target/generated-resources directory using the resourceTemplates (could
be more than one)
- testResources into the target/generates-test-resources directory using the testResourceTemplates,
- source code into target/generated-sources ...
- test source code into target/generated-test-sources ...

One speciality I liked with GraniteDS was the ability to have auto-generated stub-classes
generated in src/main/java ... if a class allready existed, no code would be generated, but
if a class didn't exist, it would be generated. This was great for creating classes that extend
other generated classes and to allow customization. Something simple as this:

public class MyClass extends MyClassBase {
}

And MyClassBase is generated to target/generated-sources.

With such a plugin I could be able to generate my JPA MetaModel classes, my DTOs, SQL scripts,
... and wouldn't have to configure thousands of different generators. People could develop
best-practice templates for general purpose tasks.

Hope this clarified, what I was looking for.

If nothing similar exists, I would like to start developing something like this, because I
think it would make my life a lot easier.

Chris