maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: dynamically select resources and apply filtering
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:58:32 GMT
On 26/02/2013 2:34 AM, Jean-Noël Colin wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> Do you mean invoking the ant plugin from the pom.xml file? I was wondering whether this
was a good practice, or something to be kept only for situations where you really can't avoid
it
It would probably not be described as a best practice but it might be a
better practice than some of the other alternatives.

Moving run-time dependencies out of developers hands is a best practice.
Separating run-time deployment from Maven is a best practice.

It sounds like you need a system to manage building software
distributions that are targeted at specific customers.
Maven is  a tool that is focused on building one artifact from one set
of code.

It would seem that you might be happiest if you build your code jars
with maven and build your software installation kits with another
product that has a database of configuration files and some instructions
about how to build the software that each client needs.

Ron
> Best regards
>
> Jean-Noël
>
> On 25 Feb 2013, at 21:31, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>
>> Why not move the production of the software to Maven and leave the assembly in Ant.
>> That would give you the best of both worlds.
>>

>> On 25/02/2013 2:41 PM, Jean-Noël Colin wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm trying to migrate my project from ant to maven, but I'm facing a few difficulties;
I need to build my project for different environments (customers, so possibly a long list).
In my ant project, I had several .properties file, one per customer; in this file, I had properties
used to customize some config file; I managed to use resource filtering to achieve this.

>>> However, some properties defined a filename that needed to be copied to the war
archive, but under a common name. For instance, I had several logos: logo_customer1.jpg, logo_customer2.jpg,
logo_customer3.jpg; the source file name was specified in the properties file (customer1.properties,
customer2.properties, customer3.properties), but the destination was always logo.jpg. How
can I do that?

>>> Second, the properties file defines the name of the file (resources) to be filtered.
For instance, I have a template for working with Spring Security in LDAP environment and another
template when working when Active Directory; the customer properties file defined the name
of the template to use, but in both cases, the result file needs to be applicationContext-security.xml.
How can i achieve this? Or is there a way to define conditional profiles so that in the customer
.properties file, I would say LDAP or AD, and based on that value, different profile would
be used?