maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Jar file not in maven
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 16:00:07 GMT
+1
Ant is a cross platform scripting tool that is well supported and used
for a lot of tasks.
Well worth considering as a key tool in your toolbox.
Not that hard to learn and has a lot of extensions that save you writing
a lot of scripts.

http://ant.apache.org/manual/tasksoverview.html#scm
http://ant.apache.org/external.html

On 06/02/2013 10:31 AM, Wayne Fay wrote:
>> I guess most people simply use the Ant plugin for that kind of task.
>> The issue I have with Ant is that the project is far too complicated as it
>> is; a newbie who starts hacking already has to learn Maven, m2e and how it
>> influences Eclipse projects, all the libraries that I'm pulling in; it's a
>> pretty steep learning curve already. I'm trying to cut down on technologies
>> you need to know to start hacking on my project, and Ant looks like it could
>> be avoided.
> Most of us on this list are simply too pragmatic to take that position
> against using Ant in your Maven build. Ant is treated as pretty much a
> first-class citizen in Maven -- you can even write Maven plugins in
> Ant. I would be surprised if you hired someone who had zero Ant
> experience, and it is simple to pick up (and useful for future use)
> for newbies.
>
> Wayne

Ron Wheeler
President