maven-users mailing list archives

From Marcos Mendez <mar...@jitisoft.com>
Subject Re: import plugin configurations
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2013 00:05:20 GMT
thanks. i've done the dependency mgmt stuff. works fine and with a main import. we actually
have the poms set pretty much the way you describe. but we have a lot of projects (diff repos
and builds) and we need to change them all correctly to update standard things which is not
good. gonna tinker a little bit more...

On Jan 4, 2013, at 18:14, Ansgar Konermann <ansgar.konermann@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Suggestions:
>
> Dependency management: a small number of poms. In the beginning: could be
> one pom.
>
> Build behaviour: a small number of parent poms. One for each type of
> artifact you're going to produce. Say: JAR, WAR. Maybe one common parent
> where you define plugin versions and build behaviour which is really the
> same for all your artifacts.
>
> Hint: plugin management can use properties which are "undefined" in the
> parent pom. You can define their values in the inheriting module's pom.
> Think OOP: parent pom can define abstract/parameterized behaviour,
> inheriting pom defines abstract parts of behaviour.
>
> Put dependencies of each module into that module. Reduce number of
> dependencies as much as possible. Don't depend on, say, a JAR, just because
> all your other modules do that too.
>
> If this does not work for you, let us know the detailed "why".
> Am 04.01.2013 23:42 schrieb "Marcos Mendez" <marcos@jitisoft.com>:
>
>> ok what us the maven way? if it is to have the same parent then it will
>> not work for me. conventions are fine until they impede.
>>
>> On Jan 4, 2013, at 17:38, Anders Hammar <anders@hammar.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I seriously doubt it is possible. And even if it was, it's the wrong way
>>> go as there is already a standard way to handle it in Maven. And Maven is
>>> all about conventions and not inventing your own solution.
>>>
>>> /Anders

in one