maven-users mailing list archives

From Erik Fäßler <erik.faess...@uni-jena.de>
Subject Re: copy selected dependencies transitively
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2013 16:22:31 GMT
Hello Ron,

very valid and good point, thank you. I will describe my scenario:
I have a pipeline of processing steps. Each step is performed by a component which is packaged
into a maven artifact. As the components have been developed independently of each other,
some of them share some dependencies - in different and possibly incompatible versions, however.
Thus, I want to cut down the pipeline to sub-pipelines with non-colliding dependencies of
the used components. Then, I can run the sub-pipelines in the correct order, each in its own
JVM and the exact dependencies necessary. Each sub-pipeline operates on data stored in a database,
modifies the data, and stores it back. This way the original pipeline can be broken down to
these sub-pipelines.
Still, the project I have in mind stores all parts which are necessary to perform the complete
original pipeline. I could, of course, create a maven project for each sub-pipeline. But this
would come with quite some overhead in the project management (multiple POMs with similar
configurations, multiple projects in SVN which must be maintained and - for running - all
checked out in a single manner...).

So my thought was to just create lib-folders for the component artifacts used in each sub-pipeline.
And for this I thought the copy-dependencies plugin could help me if I just could tell it
to copy the dependencies of each component in its own folder (or one folder for multiple components
forming a sub-pipeline).

I hope that was understandable :-) Any ideas how I could reach my goals without turning to
a complete new technology (OSGi or something)? I don't need the sub-piplines to run in parallel
(on the contrary!), I just need the dependencies of each sub-pipeline in folders of their
own.

Thanks a lot for reading and helping!

Erik

Am 04.01.2013 um 21:57 schrieb Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com>:

> What are you actually trying to do?
> Why do you need to do this? What makes your environment different from everyone else's
operation?

> Perhaps there are easier ways to get what you want by reformulating the problem.
>
> Ron
>
> On 04/01/2013 11:17 AM, Erik Fäßler wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> my issue is no new one and I found some related posts - even on this list - already.
But none of them has been answered, so I try my luck.

>> What I want:
>> Copy one (or multiple) selected dependency of my project into a directory of its
own. That is, unlike the normal "copy-dependencies" execution which just copies all dependencies
into a directory, I want to select only some of them.
>> I tried it with includeArtifactIds like this:
>>
>> <plugin>
>> 				<artifactId>maven-dependency-plugin</artifactId>
>> 				<version>2.6</version>
>> 				<executions>
>> 					<execution>
>> 						<id>Copy dependencies transitive</id>
>> 						<phase>package</phase>
>> 						<goals>
>> 							<goal>copy-dependencies</goal>
>> 						</goals>
>> 						<configuration>
>> 							<excludeTransitive>false</excludeTransitive>
>> 							<outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
>> 							<includeArtifactIds>myartifact</includeArtifactIds>
>> 						</configuration>
>> 					</execution>
>>

>> 				</executions>
>> </plugin>
>>
>> But here, the original meaning of "includeArtifactIds" is "copy exactly the artifacts
of the given IDs, nothing else", which also means that no transitive dependencies are copied.
I stated explicitly "<excludeTransitive>false</excludeTransitive>" but this seems
to be ignored.
>> Question: Is there another way to achieve what I need (copy selected artifacts along
with their transitive dependencies into a folder of their own).
>> Feature Request: I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to take the "<excludeTransitive>false</excludeTransitive>"
command into account and just copy the transitive dependencies in this case, would it? If
this could be added, it would help me and I guess some other people out there.