maven-users mailing list archives

From Maven User <>
Subject <updatePolicy>always</updatePolicy> not working for <releases> with Maven 3.0.4
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 04:25:21 GMT
We produce a large application from the artifacts of 15+ components, many
which contain multiple modules.  The version numbers are all the same, and
a build cycle takes about four hours.

Late in a development cycle we run numbered (i.e. non “-SNAPSHOT”) builds
in continuous integration mode.  Doing so facilitates quicker turnaround
times of last minute bugs.  Once a package is actually delivered to QA we
return to producing -SNAPSHOT artifacts.

We are aware re-producing numbered artifacts is not a best practice.  Part
of the reason we felt like running a numbered build in CI mode would work
is the “update policy” option which is available for "releases." See  By our
reading, this setting should enable the updating of numbered artifacts in
the local Maven cache with a newer version from the central repository (we
are using Artifactory Pro 2.5.1).

Instead, we observe this behavior:

Starting from an empty local Maven cache, the build of component #2 works
as designed.

However, after component #1 is rebuilt, a rebuild of component #2, which is
dependent on the jar file produced by the build of component #1, the
execution of “mvn –U clean deploy” fails to update the recently modified
numbered artifact in the local Maven cache.

The routine below is part of ${MAVEN_HOME}/conf/settings.xml:

                  <name>Artifactory Public Mirror</name>

Does anyone have any insight into why the local Maven cache is not being
updated with the newer numbered artifacts from our Artifactory repository?