maven-users mailing list archives

From Anders Hammar <and...@hammar.net>
Subject Re: Packaging up pre-existing jar and source jar
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 09:00:57 GMT
OK, here goes:

Maven is about several different things. One of those is distributing
software (in the form of artifacts). Maven does that through (remote) Maven
repositories. So unless it is just you, you do need a remote repo. And,
even if it is just you in the dev group, it would probably make sense to
have a repo manager anyways.

A remote repo is basically just a file system area with the Maven artifacts
and some metadata. So you could be fine with a file server or a plain web
server. BUT, your life is going to be so much easier if you go with any of
the (free) repo managers available as it will provide a lot of nice extra
features. And they are also quicker to install that you trying to create
your of solution.

Internally on your machine, Maven also uses a local repository. But this is
just sort of a cache that Maven uses and you should NEVER try to use that
in any way not intended. And it is not intended to be used outside of your
local Maven execution. It doesn't even support multiple concurrent local
Maven executions.

In the early days of Maven we all though we didn't need repo managers. We
all connected directly to remote repos like central and did hacky solutions
to have internal (remote) repos. But today we know that a Maven-based dev
environment REQUIRES a repo manager.

/Anders