maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jar file not in maven
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 20:09:58 GMT
On Tuesday, 29 January 2013, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Am 29.01.2013 19:42, schrieb Anders Hammar:
>
>> The right/correct solution here is to setup an internal Maven repository
>> where you deploy those jars to.
>>

> I still feel very uneasy about that, and I think I can pinpoint the reason
> a bit better now:
>
> One of the promises of Maven is that you can describe the entire build
> process in the poms.
> Manually installing to a repository is outside the poms; it just makes
> that jar "magically appear". It would be okay for those jars where no
> traceable origin is available anymore (the situation would be dubious for
> other reasons though); however, it is NOT okay for those situations where
> there's a perfectly valid traceable origin for the jar, such as a stable
> company website to download it from, an SVN repo with a fixed revision
> number to take it from

That gives you a false sense of security.

The maven repository cache does not work the same way...

Madness will result from such

> , or something generated at the bytecode level from otherwise available
> sources.
>
>  It's been discussed so many times here by people trying to have an
>> alternative solution blessed. There are other hackish ways to work around
>> this, but you will then run into other issues. For sure.
>>

> Been there, done that, can show the bite marks.
> Even got it working so that mvn install would do The Right Thing, but
> m2e's Workspace Resolution wouldn't recognize the jar, so the toolchain was
> still incomplete. (I have been unable to resolve that problem, not even
> with the help of the m2e-users list. Dunno where to take it from there, so
> I dropped it and am living with an even more hacky solution.)

Because the local repository cache for m3 onwards stores the source of the
jar, and most likely the sources do not match. M2e uses m3 which uses
aether under the hood...

Use a MRM and all the pain is gone

Drink the kook-aid, it tastes great